A wasp sting is a very minor dose of venom that will result in itching, swelling and pain where the venom was injected into the body. If one is unlucky enough to be allergic to wasp venom they will experience much worse side effects as a result of the venom. They will experience a severe decrease in blood pressure, hives, difficulty breathing, and inflammation of the lips, throat, and tongue.
If one is allergic to wasp venom, the best course of action would be to immediately contact a hospital or poison control for guidance. If the effects of the venom are very severe one may need to travel to a hospital to receive additional assistance. Before contacting emergency services determine the patient’s age, weight, condition, time the sting took place, and the area of the body that is affected.
If one is allergic to wasp venom it is crucial to own a bee sting pack and understand how it is used in the case of an emergency. To help with the swelling and pain associated with a wasp sting it is a good idea to place the affected area in ice in ten-minute increments. The drug diphenhydramine (Benadryl) can be given to the affected person if they can swallow to alleviate some mild symptoms.
Wasp stings are to most people just an annoyance that they must put up with but for the few that are allergic to wasp stings, they must know what to do if they are stung at any time. If one is allergic and gets stung remember three things: give them a dose from a bee sting pack if they have one, call the hospital or poison control, and know the patient’s age, weight, condition, when the sting happened, and where it is on the body before calling the hospital or poison control. If these steps are followed the venom will not pose a threat to the affected person’s life.